AFRAID OF GROWING UP? |Confessions of a twenty something year old

Helloooooo lovely people!!

I’m super ecstatic today because tomorrows is my birthday. Last day being 23, no longer a freshman of adulting lol. Still thinking about what I wanna do with myself tomorrow but I’m sure I wanna go see Black Panther for the first time, so I can officially use the wakanda forever hashtag in all my pictures πŸ˜‚lol. Anyway, I had been thinking about what post to do for my birthday, and it just clicked when I came across this blog post ” overcoming the fear of growing up” by my amazing blogger babe Oreoluwa Aremo of lifestyleoforeoluwa.com.

Since I turned 20, I’ve always hidden my age fron the general public, not because it was the norm for most young Nigerian women not to let people know their true age. I absolutely love celebrating my birthday but every time my birthday was around the corner, I’d start feeling a bit anxious because most times its a reminder of how old I’m getting and the many goals and responsibilities waiting for me. lol When I was 17, I could swear I’d be married by the time I was 24πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

I’ve always felt ”old” amongst my peers who I’m usually a year or two years older than. I remember when I was a few years younger, maybe 17, I believe twenty four was ‘really old,’ but it isn’t and just recently I realized that I was wasting my time obsessing when I could be thanking God for the life He’s given me and smashing my goals.

Remember this; whatever age you are, that’s the youngest you can be – Fisayo Adeyemi

Society has a way to tying achievements to one’s age, and it can be pretty daunting especially when you don’t fit into popular opinions. By 21 you should have have graduated from university, by 26 you should be married, by 30 you should be a billionaire lol. Said who? There’s so much pressure to fit in, even family members start asking you very personal questions, some because they truly care while the majority because they just like abembo (gossip in Yoruba πŸ˜‚). Please don’t kill yourself because you want to impress people who don’t even care. Your goal should be to make God proud and yourself happy.

I remember last year, few hours to my birthday, I was praising, praying and thanking God for 22 and handing over 23 to Him. I wasn’t in a relationship as at then, my walk with God was not as consistent as I would have wanted it to be. Earlier in January I had told God one of the things I wanted was a godly relationship, and I wrote down the things I wanted in a partner. I reminded God again of my request, and I prayed for a more consistent walk with God, my pastors called me that day and asked what I wanted and I told them my requests. Bae showed up two months later and my walk with God has been consistent even though its not been perfect.

If you follow me on instagram, I’ve been doing a thanksgiving challenge for 7 days, thanking God for the things I wouldn’t usually thank Him about. Today is the final day and looking back on all I have thanked God for, I can scream I am blessed. Definitely not where I want to be, but I’m not where I used to be.

So whatever age you are, thank God for it because not everyone has the opportunity to grow up – Fisayo Adeyemi

Work on your goals and personal growth. Whatever age you are, that’s definitely the age God wants you to be, if not, you wouldn’t have been born in 1994 or whatever age.

You can say this along with me :

From today henceforth, I promise never to see myself as ‘old’ or out of time, I am right in the middle of Gods plan for my life, I am where God wants me to be. I choose to work hard, pray harder, trust God’s timing, and celebrate every milestone in my life. I choose to focus on my life and pursue purpose. I refuse to be pressured by societal trends, family or friends, but I choose to live my best life as a single woman/man until I’m married and continue to live my best life in marriage. I declare that I am blessed and favoured, I am indeed the salt of the earth, and the light of the world. I choose to hold God’s word over the worlds standards and promote Jesus with everything I have. So help me God, Amen.

If you’re too busy being bothered about how old you are, how are you going to enjoy your life? Don’t worry if you think you haven’t achieved much, we serve a timeless God who can make anything happen, things that should have taken 10 years, He can make it happen in 1 year. Your part is to work hard, pray and trust God with your life.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus – Philippians 4:6

White and Black Photography Logo

Happy birthday to me ❀

44 Comments Add yours

1. Debs says:

Isn’t this inspiring, Fisayo? Thanks for sharing.

When I was much younger, I always look up to older people and feel so young and see them as old. Over the years, I realized every age is the youngest the person can be. And I’ve so much let society no longer dictate who or what I am to me anymore.

It’s time for me to be responsible for each task I find myself doing for each age.

And I’m glad you are getting closer to your goals with each new age. Happy birthday in advance dear.

1. Yes, we have to be responsible, and I’m really glad you realized this too ! Thanks for stopping by my darling debs ❀

2. gB says:

Great job.

Happy Birthday to you.

1. Thank you Gg, still not sure who you are but thanks a lot

3. Treasure says:

Thank you for this post, I was blessed

1. Amen! So glad you were. Thank you

4. Treasure says:

Happy birthday in advance darling

5. Lara says:

Hey I love this post, happy birthday o, yes a day early but still. Have a wonderful day.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Lara, appreciate your kind words.

6. thoniabankz says:

Happy birthday in advance my love. This is just the beginning of great things in your life. ❀️

1. Amen. Thanks beautiful one ❀

7. So inspiring she’s 24 and wise as an old sage πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘perfect post and please enjoy your birthday and hopefully if it’s God’s will by this time in one or two years you’ll be a wife

1. loool I love how you ended your comment. And amen to that. Thank you ❀

8. Cool Christian says:

Happy Birthday in advance girl! I bet you will enjoy every bit of your day . God bless you

9. Kabss says:

Thank you so much Fifi, your blog is so inspiring. Keep doing your thing ❀. Hope you’ve picked out wedding colours, cause I sense the time Is nigh. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Liked by 1 person

1. @nigh is cracking me up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I’m still wondering what colors to combine. Is like you’ll help me small. Thank you darling, I’m so grateful that you read and take out time to comment. God bless you ❀

10. Red says:

Happy Birthday! πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸ°πŸ°

1. Thank you ❀❀❀

11. msegele says:

This was lovely. Amen and happy birthday babe ❀️❀️

1. Thank you, really appreciate ❀❀❀

12. Fadekesays says:

Fisayo. This is soo beautiful. Who’s cutting onions beside me? Haha.
    I also thought I’ld be married by 24. Then when I noticed 24 was getting closer I decided 25 won’t be bad 🀣.

Love this post! Thanks for the inspiration. Hopefully God answers our prayers.

Happy birthday in advance love! ❀️

Liked by 1 person

1. *Hands box of tissue* πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ seriously o. Best way to make sure you’re not going crazy is to believe that but you’re right where God wants you to be. And I’m glad you love it. Thank you ❀❀❀

Liked by 1 person

13. *hands box of tissue* πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Seriously o. Best way to make sure you’re not crazy is to believe you’re right where God wants you to be. And I’m glad you loved it. Thank you ❀❀❀.Our answered prayers are coming soon πŸ™

14. Offiah Isaac says:

Happy birthday Fisayo dear, the only Yoruba geh with Igbo blood I know… I bless God for your life and the opportunity of meeting a remarkable person like you.
    I pray you never know a better yesterday all your life in Jesus name!!!
    Have fun

1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Awwn. Thank you so much
      Appreciate you

15. Folake says:

Happy Birthday in advance darling. You are an amazing soul, and greatness is waiting for you. Just step in.

1. Amen sister ❀❀❀. Thank you so much

16. DatOneLady says:

Happy birthday in advance dear, i felt really down and depressed last year as my birthday approached as i was not where i wanted to be at but thank God for his grace.

Thanks for this post and the words of affirmation as i was beginning to worry again as my birthday is approaching. I am also a march baby like you. Have a good one dear

Liked by 1 person

1. Hey March baby 😻. God has a way of reminding his children of His His promises. Happy birthday in advance. Thanks for stopping by, hope to hear more from you ❀

1. DatOneLady says:

Yes o, sure he does o! Thanks dear, and sure you would hear from me more!

2. Yay πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

17. dodeyesc says:

Fifs, happy birthday girl. Amazing post.

1. Thanks Dodeye ❀❀❀❀

18. Thank you for sharing this!
    Your post put my mind at peace about achieving things at a certain age. My family puts so much pressure on me to get married, have kids and that I have to do this all before I turn 30. Why though? Where is this book of rules that everyone keeps throwing at us saying that we must do this and do that?
    I am happy being 23 (turning 24 this year) and enjoying my life the way I want to live it! I do not even want to bow down to family because of their ridiculous expectations!πŸ™„
    Happy birthday in advance love! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with love, happiness and cake!😁 May god bless you for many more birthdays to come!πŸ’›

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much Victoria. Your message is heart warming. And you’re right. Live the best of the remaining months of 23 and when you’re 24, do the same, let no one put pressure on you. And thank you so much, I had an amazing day yesterday ❀❀❀

19. Manda says:

Great piece It’s very inspiring. 😳

1. Thank you Manda ❀

20. ugo says:

First time reading your write ups and it was worth it.Very inspiring.

1. Thank you Ugo. So glad your first time was worth it. Really do hope to see more of you ❀

21. Ayo says:

Nice write up. I love it. Happy Birthday in Arrears

22. MayowaJayy says:

Hi Fisayo! “Your goal should be to make God proud and yourself happy.” This to me is the highlight of this post. Thank you for sharing this and Happy Birthday in arrears

1. Thank you so much. I’m glad it spoke to you. Hope to see more of you 😊